The cryptocurrency market tanked over the last few days, with Bitcoin dropping below the $6,000 mark for the first time since October. However, Charles Hoskinson, the founder of Cardano (ADA) and the former co-founder of Ethereum says that the future is bright. If he is correct, then now might be a good time to pick up some Bitcoin and other digital assets at a discount, before everything starts to bounce back.
According to Hoskinson, there are institutional investors who have been waiting by the sidelines for regulatory clarity. Once regulators in the US, Japan and other countries paint a clearer picture of the guidelines, the floodgates may open and this money will pour in, driving up prices across the board. In a tweet, he said, “What’s often missed by the cryptocurrency is going to die broken record media is that after the next wave of regulation, wall street is showing up to the party with all their locked up capital. That’s tens of trillions of dollars entering the space eventually. Future is bright.”
What's often missed by the cryptocurrency is going to die broken record media is that after the next wave of regulation, wall street is showing up to the party with all their locked up capital. That's tens of trillions of dollars entering the space eventually. Future is bright
— Charles Hoskinson (@IOHK_Charles) June 21, 2018
If Hoskinson is right, we’re talking about a tremendous increase in capital. At present, the entire market cap for all cryptocurrencies is just under $243 billion, according to Cryptolization. Hoskinson estimates that institutional investors would pump “tens of trillions of dollars” into the market. Such an increase would be nothing short of astonishing, and it’s certainly possible. According to studies, institutional investors controlled $25.3 trillion, or 17.4% of all US financial assets at the end of 2009. This does account for investors outside of the US, inflation since 2009, or the ripple effect that large sums of institutional flooding the crypto market will have on the other 82.6% of investors who look to institutional experts for guidance on their own investment decisions. With these numbers in mind, it’s very realistic to assume that Hoskinson’s theory has merit.
We are seeing the cryptocurrency market gaining support on Wall Street, too. Jamie Dimon, the CEO of JPMorgan Chase retracted his statement that Bitcoin was a fraud, and his bank is engaging in blockchain projects as we speak. They’ve issued a mandate that “The Blockchain Center of Excellence (BCOE) leads efforts for applications of distributed ledger technology (DLT) within J.P. Morgan.” This plan includes creating pilot programs for the use of blockchain in the bank’s ecosystem, including new technology, investing in strategic partnerships, and participating in cross-industry partnerships.
Goldman Sachs is also on board with crypto. The international banking powerhouse has opened up a Bitcoin trading desk for its clients, where they may trade in cryptocurrency derivatives. We are seeing similar moves at banks around the world, as regulators rush to catch up to the demand for the trading of digital assets and their derivatives.
The decline in Bitcoin prices over the last few days may have been a direct result of the recent “Business Improvement Orders” issued by Japanese regulators. Six major cryptocurrency exchanges have been required to improve a number of internal processes, in an effort to stop crimes such as money laundering and terrorist financing. If that is indeed the case, then this dip would likely be temporary while exchanges adjust their business strategies to comply with the new regulations. Take a look at the facts surrounding Charles Hoskinson’s statement, and decide for yourself.